Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Papaya Peach Smoothie



I have never been able to buy a papaya that has any flavor to it. I've always assumed that I was a poor judge of when it was ripe, because the papaya in the springrolls at Ha Long Bay Asian Restaurant always are quite tasty. So the other day when Bob and I went to the Asian market and I saw a yellow papaya, already cut in half and wrapped up, I thought, "Aha! A ripe one!!!"

I now have a new theory. It is the type of papaya that I have been picking. I always get a yellow papaya. They also had a variety that was called a green papaya. It wasn't as attractive... but maybe they are the ones that taste good!?!?!

Anyhow, since I was stuck with a rather boring tasting fruit, I decided to conqure a question that I have heard others ask of The Raw Divas... "How do I make a smoothie if I hate bananas?".

Papaya Peach Smoothie
(makes about a quart)
1/2 of a large yellow papaya
16 oz. bag of frozen sliced peaches
enough Papaya Nectar (or juice of choice) to blend
1/4 cup Blue Agave Nectar (or to taste)
1 Tbsp. Royal Jelly (optional)
1/4 tsp. alcohol free Almond Flavor (optional)

Blend papaya and liquid of choice until completely smooth. Gradually add frozen peaches and continue blending. The almond flavoring will bring out the taste of the peaches. You will need to taste to see how much agave you will need to add to sweeten it to your own tastes.

If you make it as above, it will make a smoothie with a deep peachy color. However, for a wonderful Papaya Peach Green Smoothie, add two heaping handfuls of baby spinach leaves.

No comments: