Monday, September 10, 2007

Raw Corn & Tomato Jamboree



Lately, every time I went past a display of corn on the cob in the market, I wanted to dive right in and make a meal of it right there! However, self composure and Bob restrained me from making a spectacle of myself. The urge persisted. Yesterday I ran across a recipe which I decided to RAWvolutionize. I decided to cut the recipe in half, which was good, because there were only four ears of corn left in the store! We made it last night, and it is a definite keeper! Bob and I each tasted it last night, but saved it for our lunch today. I personally think that it has better flavor right after you make it. The tomatoes tend to lose their juice which waters down the sauce, if made the day ahead. So if you want a refreshing late summer salad, give this a try!

Raw Corn & Tomato Jamboree
serves 4 as featured salad

8 ears of corn, husked and cut from cob
8 plum tomatoes, diced into 1/4" cubes
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced white and tender green parts
1/4 cup packed chopped fresh herbs. I used basil, tarragon, and cilantro.
herb sprig (I used dill) for garnish
arugula

Mustard Vinaigrette:
3 tablespoons cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Make the mustard vinaigrette: In a jar, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Cover and shake to blend well; set aside. (Or stick it all in a Magic Bullet and blend!)

In a large bowl, add the corn, tomatoes, scallions, and chopped herbs and toss to mix well. Add the dressing and toss again. Spoon mixture over a bed of arugula on individual plates and garnish with herb sprigs. Serve at room temperature.

NOTE: I originally posted this recipe on my other site. You can access the original comments from here3 comments, but you can only post new comments for this post on this blog.

No comments: